Monday, July 21, 2008

Lila's sounding better with every passing day

I really don't know how she's feeling. She says "Okay." But I don't really know what that means. Still, the increasing animation in her voice and the return of her sense of humor is loverly. I think her pain is diminishing, but how much and where it still persists she doesn't volunteer, and I don't often ask...

For family reasons, Lila's animal mascots are frogs. She collects 'em. She was delighted today that she'd found an exceptional one, which apparently lies in three pieces on the ground, giving the impression that the rest of it is just under the soil. Froggie implicature. Who knew.

The storm, Cristobal, has passed and left them untouched, except by rain. Her place is inland of the Intercoastal Waterway a bit, I gather, and would be protected except in the case of a direct hit by a really big storm.

We have worked out a communications protocol for the rest of her stay down there this week. Each day, just before dinner, as she did today, she'll dispatch her son ("He hovers," she said) to the local market for needed supplies. An elaboration of the old "Can't Have Crabs Without Beer" gambit which succeeded so brilliantly on Saturday, when we stole close to a half-hour, too. Yes indeed. A daily errand. Works for me.

Our conversation today was relaxed, albeit afflicted with a faulty connection. Talking from skype-to-phone, there's a microsecond delay between speech and audition., which can get dicey, especially when either party or the other tends to interrupt, which we both do. We talked for what seemed a good long time, probably pretty close to half-an-hour. Lila didn't seem exhausted at the end, either, a good sign. I think I only audibly swallowed one sob...Pretty good. Getting better. Gonna have LOTS of practice.
My Girl

(I love her so)

No comments: