Friday, July 18, 2008

"Hot Spots" Rise In Their Importance

The issue, when Lila's at the cottage--that's where she called me from last year; hah, was it only last year? fuck me running, what a year--has always been that she has to find a hot-spot, that glowing point of wireless internet access which, where she is, are scarce, evanescent and fragile as spin-drift... She explained that it made no sense to provide their place with a feature they'd have to keep active all the time, that's so rarely used, for the money. I guess with her son there she doesn't want to call on the cell. She IM'd this afternoon.

It was late, 4 pm her time, when she IM'd me. There's this little green frog flag that pops up in the lower right of my screen that alerts me that she's come on line. This flag erases every other stimulus in the universe. She'd found a hot spot, but it was weak and shifting. She hadn't slept well. Had awoken around 6 am, unable to recapture sleep. She indicated she didn't feel badly. I couldn't ask specifics because the connection kept breaking off and then reappearing. It was frustrating. She puts up with a lot to keep our deal alive, under the circumstances. It can't be easy. But I think/hope she needs to talk to me, to know I'm there, as much as I need to hear from her.

Lila said she might try again after dark. That'd be about now down there. I guess I'll wait and see if she can find a hot spot, or if she calls. I sure hope she does.

In the interim, an apt (I think) musical Interlude ("interlude," parsed etymologically, means 'play between,' more or less).
Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris. This is a GREAT album and this is one of a handful of GREAT songs. This is a GREAT LOVE SONG. But it's just the song, no vid. ("Just" the song? Do you hear me?) Still, waddaya want fer nuttin? I love this song. I only drove trucks a short while...but I was a carpenter.

That minor-key melancholy gets me every time.
This song is by an old friend of mine and it sings my home-town. I got to take her there.
I didn't take the fotos. They're not bad. They have a sense of humor.
I had a very good time in Santa Fe, back in the day (I was known by my order at the Senate Lounge after my radio show, at midnight, in 1963--age 17. USAF, 64-68, I moved on in '78)...Eliza Gilkyson has really REALLY grown

She ALWAYS knew how to sell a song. The first band I remember her in was called "Family Lotus."

I'm just stalling; Lila's not calling.

G'nite, baby. I love you...

No comments: