Friday, July 4, 2008

Clinical Trial Information

The Cancer Information Service at the National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Md., offers information about clinical trials that are looking for volunteers. The Service offers a toll-free number at 1-800-422-6237. Here's a link which lists the ACC clinical trials currently under way. ACC is classified as a "rare" disease, afflicting fewer than 200-300 people yearly. I always knew my baby was one in a million. It took me 30 years to meet her, and I was looking...

Addendum: After I'd posted this, Lila called to pass on link to a public music tent/festival where she lives, in which her son the guitarist was performing in a newly-formed James Brown cover band. We chatted for a while about this and that. I mentioned clinical trials, cuz I had found the NIH link to on-going trials which are seeking participants. She said she was of very mixed mind about participating in trials. She said she was uncomfortable with the ways some of them are conducted. They're double-blind, I suppose. But she said they don't use 'purely placebo' materials like sugar pills.

I didn't have the chance to pursue it, because she wanted to watch her son's band playing. The audio was atrocious, and the video was broken and choppy. It sounded like the mic recording for the vid was placed directly in the big cone of the bass-player's speaker, and very little of the rest of the band got through the incessant mo-town bass line...We kinda live-blogged it on the IM, back and forth. We bore it for a couple of numbers, but couldn't endure the whole set. Then she went to take a "power nap." She said she'd call me later.(Here endeth this addendum...) Addendum addendum: She DID call back, and we talked for almost a half an hour before her energy drained....

Aside: Researchers have determined that a cannabis derivative, cannabidiol, may be an effective treatment for "aggressive" cancers.
Probably, if it works like most pot products, a couple of tokes and it just mellows that tumor right the fuck out...Like: "...'ear, dude...chill..."

5 comments:

Nancy Willing said...

Hey Woody, Fourth of July greetings to you and yours. Thoughts and prayers from far afield can perhaps lift, if for a second, the heavy hearts whose ladened dread need succor 'most impossible delivered.
Much love and winds of peace to caress what eges might soften and release from this, your burden.
Nancy

ProfWombat said...

Anything, anything I can do to help you and Lila, you let me know.

KempsterMDJD@verizon.net
978-749-0642
781-789-2613 (try first)

Can't tell you how sorry I am to reacquaint myself with you this way.

Yours, Michael/ProfWombat

Anonymous said...

Saw my friend yesterday. He seemed to be doing well. I think he starts chemo again next week.

echidne said...

My qigong teacher has lived with liver cancer for three years now. If you'd like to be put in touch with him (about the food and other stuff he takes), please let me know at vtybg at netzero dot com.

charley said...

not anything i can offer but my condolences.

to you and lila.