Wednesday, June 25, 2008

It's Almost 48 Hours Since I Last Heard From Lila

It strikes me that, absent some unforeseen complication, sometime within those two days she would likely have called or dropped an IM. Thus I think I am not unduly alarmist to worry that something indeed is amiss. Or something miraculous occurred, and they're out celebrating. I like that one, please...

I think I have about til I go to bed tonight--1030? 11?--with my customary pint of scotch in ballast, before I go pretty much shit-house rat-crazy with worry and/or dread and/or ignorance.

I have no way of knowing what's happening except via her own voice or hand. Yes, I know the number, but I feel confident that she would not--indeed, does not--want me introducing myself to her family and friends whilst she's in extremis. Bad timing. Given a few years, we mighta worked that out, too. But apparently that kinda time's a luxury.

Still, closing in on 48 hours, I don't really know wtf to think. If Lila were feeling okay--not good, you know? just okay--she'd have called by now.

Which makes me uneasy...like a stallion in a stable 'fore a storm...unnerved, edgy, inside...what's up? what's up? deprived of 'normal' cues, one blunders only blindly toward any bright point...

Strangely, there was just a sharp, brisk peal of summer thunder over the valley. No rain, but noisy, and efficient-sounding. The first of the year of our monsoon, perhaps. We all gasp in anticipation. And now the rain's blowing and spitting. I think I left a couple of car-windows open...bother...

No comments: